PREVIEWS 01 AUGUST 2013, 6-9PM
13A SHAD THAMES
RUNS: AUGUST 02-11
OPEN: 11-5PM WEDS- SUN
Somewhere in between is a collected exploration of the grey area between two polar opposites or contrasting extremes. The work explores what it means to be neither one thing or the other but a hybrid creation– where nothing is a certainty.
- Laura Ansell draws on the biological, echoing our own cellular building blocks, suspended in a blank environment and cut away from the core of their context.
- Wayne Keown offers us a glimpse into a fractured mind, through broken memories, derelict institutes and the threat of imminent peril.
- Kat Hayes focuses on the appearance of the grid and the human insistence on controlling the uncontrollable.
- Emily Watkins employs naturally occurring hermaphrodites to question patriarchal religious figureheads and the traditional absence of the feminine within western culture.
- Oscar Parasiego explores the truthfulness of photography and the inability of photography to capture the complexity of human self-reflection.
- Emma Jane Whitton examines our relationship with the rise and fall of our built environment and the ideologies that brought them into creation.
Some snaps from the preview night